The famous quote “When the going gets tough, the tough get going,” might be true for some people. But for others, overcoming adversity can be an immense struggle. While some seem to almost thrive on life’s challenges and succeed in spite of endless dark days, others can almost fall apart when life’s hardships rear their ugly heads. If you often find yourself ready to give up when life gets tough, these hardship in life quotes are for you.
There are many stories of famous people who overcame incredible hardships and transformed themselves into successful people we all admire. Nelson Mandela endured 27 years in prison before he became South Africa’s first democratically elected president. Abraham Lincoln completely failed in business, suffered a nervous breakdown and lost eight elections before he finally became president.
But not all tales of overcoming hardship are from famous people. Ordinary people like you and me can work through adversity and come out stronger on the other side. The Healing Conscious is proof of this. This book follows the uplifting story of an Ethiopian immigrant boy on his journey to America and into adulthood. It reflects the final thoughts and words of a dying man who journeyed across the world, raised a wonderful family and became successful, finally fulfilling the American dream, despite all his hardships. It’s an inspiring read for anyone in need of additional motivation and strength to conquer difficulties in their life.
Hardship in Life Quotes 1-10
- I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. – Jimmy Dean
- To remain indifferent to the challenges we face is indefensible. If the goal is noble, whether or not it is realized within our lifetime is largely irrelevant. What we must do therefore is to strive and persevere and never give up. – Dalai Lama
- Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body. – Seneca
- If you are facing a new challenge or being asked to do something that you have never done before don’t be afraid to step out. You have more capability than you think you do. But you will never see it unless you place a demand on yourself for more. – Joyce Meyer
- The most beautiful people I’ve known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. – Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- Being challenged in life is inevitable. Being defeated is optional. – Roger Crawford
- People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want. And if they can’t find them, make them. – George Bernard Shaw
- Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. – Booker T. Washington
- I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. – Michael Jordan
- There are no great people in this world. Only great challenges which ordinary people rise to meet. – William Frederick Halsey, Jr.
Hardship in Life Quotes 11-20
- The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it. – Molière
- Turn your wounds into wisdom. – Oprah Winfrey
- Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain. – Vivian Greene
- There’s no education like adversity. – Disraeli
- Start by doing what’s necessary. Then do what’s possible. And suddenly you are doing the impossible. – Francis of Assisi
- Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you. They’re supposed to help you discover who you are. – Bernice Johnson Reagon
- Jumping at several small opportunities may get us there more quickly than waiting for one big one to come along. – Hugh Allen
- And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about. – Haruki Murakami
- Our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change. – Martin Luther King Jr.
- All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me….You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. – Walt Disney
If these hardship in life quotes leave you feeling strong and motivated, take a look at these 30 Inspirational Quotes About Life for an extra mood boost today.