You’re incredibly stressed at work. There’s an ever-increasing number of chores piling up at home. And your diary is packed full of overdue tasks. So you’ve got enough time to tackle these all-important jobs, you skip breakfast, pass on going to the gym and cancel your plans with friends. Sound familiar? When life gets overwhelming, looking after ourselves is usually the first thing to go, but this only makes things worse. To help you battle stress and take back control, here are 20+ self care ideas for bad days.
Self Care Definition
The phrase “Self Care” might sound self-indulgent, but it’s really just a few basic habits that are vital for everyday functioning. From reading a couple of pages of your favourite book in the morning instead of rushing out the door and eating a healthy, filling lunch instead of grabbing junk from the vending machine to meeting up with friends for a long overdue catch-up and practicing some sleep-inducing yoga before bed. Self care ideas don’t need to be anything spiritual or complicated. They can be simple activities you do every day to keep your body and mind working at their best.
Why is Self Care Important?
In today’s non-stop world, it’s a common misconception that the more you sacrifice, the better the reward. But take this motto too far and you’re destined for failure and burnout. We’ve all done it before:
You’ve got an important deadline at school or work that you’ve simply got to meet. To get the tasks done on time, you put in overtime or pull an all-nighter. Yes, you manage to get the necessary work completed in time, but it’s sloppy, full of errors and just not up to your usual standard. Not only that, but the next day you’re so tired and over-worked that you can barely form proper sentences.
The notion of self care turns this motto upside down and says that instead of being rewarded for pushing yourself beyond reasonable limits, you’ll get better results by making sure you’re happy and healthy in everyday life. Self care ideas promote healthy minds and bodies, encourage you to recharge your batteries and provide you with ways to manage emotional struggles before they get out of hand.
Self Care Ideas and Activities
So now you know what self care is and why self care is important, it’s time to share some ideas about how to practice it. Sure, you might not have enough time in your busy schedule to do all of these activities every day, but implementing just one or two when you’re feeling extremely stressed or overwhelmed is a sure-fire way to make yourself feel better and back in control.
20+ Self Care Ideas for Bad Days
Here are 20+ self care ideas you can try to boost your mood and motivate you on bad days:
- Write about yourself, your feelings and your ideas. Share your personal story on our site and get helpful advice from the community.
- Watch a funny movie or TV show you haven’t seen in years.
- Take a long nap.
- Read stories from other people who have overcome hardships. Khan’s story is particularly inspiring.
- Enjoy a hot shower or bubble bath with some relaxing music.
- Give guided meditation a try.
- Release your creativity and doodle. Our Montage page is the perfect canvas for your inner artist.
- Go for a walk on your own.
- Cook yourself your favourite meal.
- Read some inspirational quotes.
- Dance like nobody’s watching.
- List 10 things you’re thankful for.
- Buy a self-development book to improve your life.
- Play with a pet.
- Spend some time with your best friend.
- Invest in yourself and take a course on something you’ve always wanted to learn.
- Unfollow negative people on social media.
- Get off the grid for at least 1 hour.
- Declutter 3 things from each room you really don’t need.
- Smile at yourself in the mirror.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset.
Do you have any self care ideas that help you get through bad days you’d like to share with us? We’d love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below and we’ll add your idea onto our list!